Thursday, May 13, 2010

It is not easy to save the world, but saving life is..


It started like ne other day. I woke up at around 8:00AM (This is the time by when most of my colleagues r in the office :-((), leisurely read the newspaper n went through other mundane chores. As usual by the time I reached the office premises I realised that I was late n had 2 rush. At our parking bay, the admin guys generally put hoardings related to events that happen with in the campus. The only time I glanced @ it, they had posted sumthing on saree sale. I have never  ever cared to glance @ it. As I walked into my workplace, one of my team member told me that he was leaving 2 donate blood. Well, they were conducting a blood donation camp in our campus. I thought that a mail must have been circulated, n I was rummaging through my mail box looking for this mail. I went back 2 this guy n enquired about his source of information, n u guys guessed it right....it was the hoarding @ our parking bay!!!

Hmmm...I always wanted 2 donate blood. This was an opportunity 2 probably save a life. But then I was always scared 2 donate. I get scared the moment I enter a dispensary, the Doc's white coat, his stethoscope n the bloody pungent smell inside makes me sick. I am also scared of needles, n here I had seen them using the kind of needles they use on cattles!! I decided to give it a try, "try" coz I was not sure if they would let me donate. Generally, my pulse starts racing the moment I c a barometer n I was dead sure that this time it is going 2 b no different. I had 2 fill up a form with a lot of disconcerting questions ;-)(Sumone who has ever donated blood knows what I mean). They checked my weight, n other Vital stats ;-)(like my BG, Hb count etc). Now I had 2 face my old foe "the barometer", n to my surprise my pulse did not race n my pressure was picture perfect. This was unprecedented. Guess I was destined 2 donate on this particular day.

I was asked 2 lay down n the guy inserted the longest needle that ever pierced my body, into the vein. It was all over in 10 mins. I asked the guy to show the bag that contained my blood, the guy could not control his laughter hearing my stupid request. I had never seen so much blood flow out of my body, Touch Wood!!. The only time I was hurt a bit seriously was in my childhood, n people who know me can easily guess the part the was gashed ;-). Well, it was my head!! As I was resting I wondered abt the person who might share my blood. Also, b4 I even entered the donation center I browsed abt the advantages of donating blood. I read that fresh blood would b infused by the bone marrow in a few days. Well, this was a juicy proposition. The same blood was flowing in my veins 4 the past 28 yrs, n here was a chance 2 get rid of sum of it n infuse sum FRESH blood. I stood up n walked as if I were walking on a surface with a much lower gravity, I was scared 2 expend energy. As I walked out I was offered sum juice, buiscuits n a CERTIFICATE.

When I was a kid my Dad always asked me to safeguard the certificates that I won in school n college competitions. He always told me that this would cum handy during my job interviews. Most of them were for my antics in Quizzing n Sports :-), n never 4 academic performance. Thanks 2 my Mom, I won a prize for the best handwriting in my 1st grade.  But, he was wrong, no one has ever cared 2 ask abt these achievements, but then probably it was his ruse 2 help me safeguard those certificates so that I feel good every time I look @ them. But, this particular certificate that I got was very different from the rest. Here is a verbatim recollection of what it said, " You have donated your valuable blood to our Blood bank and thereby saved many precious lives. Your special concern and responsibility is laudable". I was exulted reading this. U don't get praised 4 ur efforts this way. If ne of u guys want 2 hear the same, go donate blood! I left the center with an exalted(n exulted) feeling of having done something worthy. Well, I am running the SunFeast marathon next week, hope I am fighting fit by then. I want 2 complete the course n get a shot with Deepika ;-).  Well, tomorrow as I walk out of our parking bay, I am definitely going 2 pay attention to the hoarding

1 comment:

  1. Imagine the poor guy/girl who gets ur blood.. 28 years old stale blood..

    ReplyDelete